Google AdWords Keyword Tool Is A Beginner Keyword Research Tool
Google's AdWords Keyword Tool is an external keyword suggestion tool offered through Google AdWords. When you are first beginning PPC and learning how to use Google AdWords, this keyword tool is a pretty good way to establish a baseline list of AdWords keyword ideas for your website. You enter a word or phrase, or alternatively, a URL, and the free AdWords Keyword Tool spits back a list of related keywords and some additional traffic data. But the tool stops there. It doesn't tell you what to do with those keywords or help you organize them into a usable, actionable structure.
WordStream's Keyword Research Suite, which is now a part of our WordStream Advisor, goes beyond the basic functionality of Google's free adwords keyword tool, offering extensive, actionable data you use to take your AdWords campaigns to the next level of performance.
Benefits of using the Keyword Research Suite include:
- Exclusive Keyword Research - The Keyword Research Suite gives you deep access to WordStream's industry-leading, trillion-keyword database. This gives you the competitive edge of knowing your keywords are more extensive and accurate.
- AdWord Keyword Data You Can Act On - Instead of just a list of keywords, our tools give your structured, actionable data, ready to use in search marketing campaigns. You'll be able to organize and put into action insights surrounding your keywords and search queries.
- Keywords When You Need Them - Don't be held back by the limits of web-based keyword research tools. The Keyword Research Suite is a robust toolset designed for full-time search marketers and business owners, and offers virtually unlimited access to our huge keyword database. That means you can expand your keyword research over time, even every day.
In addition, WordStream offers two tools that help you get even more out of your keyword research:
- The Negative Keyword Tool: Find keywords that aren't relevant to your campaigns, so you can make sure your ads aren't triggered by queries that won't result in business.
- The SEO for Firefox Content Creation Plug-in: This tool puts your keyword research at your fingertips while you create new blog posts and other web content, ensuring that your SEO copywriting is keyword-rich and optimized for search.
WordStream: A Better Way to Research Keywords
So what's the problem with using the Google Keyword Tool and stopping there? The problem is, as with any freely available, public, third-party tool, the keywords basic AdWords tools returns come up short in a few ways:
- Their relevance is questionable: Say you own an online pet store and you're looking for keywords you can use to market the cat section of your website. Many of the keywords you'll get from Google don't have much to do with pets: "cat power supplies"? "cat birthday party supplies"? You can never be sure that all these keywords apply to your specific business. This is why you need negative keywords.
- There's no competitive edge: Your competitors can use the AdWords Keyword Tool to get the exact same list of keywords for your business niche. How do you set your site apart?
- Their number is limited: You might get up to 100 or so keywords—mostly popular, two- or three-word keyword phrases, with no long-tail keywords in sight. What then? To succeed as a search marketer, you need to grow and expand your list into the thousands and beyond.
- The monthly traffic volume is an exstimate: Google takes a yearly average and rounds traffic numbers, making it impossible to determine the seasonality of keywords
WordStream offers a couple of further options to build the size, value and relevance of your list:
- Find personalized keywords: With WordStream Advisor, you can mine your own analytics data to unearth the real keywords that actual search engine users have typed in to find your website. These keywords are highly specific and unique to your business, unlike those returned by the AdWords Keyword Tool. Plus, they're private, so your competitors won't have access to them.
- Find keywords into the extreme long tail: This is where keyword expansion comes in. Don't stop with the basic head terms relevant to your business. Our long-tail database gives you way more keywords in highly competitive markets.
Using WordStream instead of or in addition to the AdWords Keyword Selector Tool makes your keyword research so much more valuable as a marketing asset. You'll find you have a lot more leveraging power for both organic SEO and pay-per-click campaigns when your keyword database is private, personalized, maximally relevant, ever-growing and well-organized. To gain full access to WordStream's keyword tools, sign up for a free trial.
Like our Keyword Tool? Try our Free AdWords Performance Grader!
WordStream’s AdWords Performance Grader is a comprehensive free tool that helps you evaluate how your AdWords campaigns are performing based off of several key criteria. Looking at indicators such as Quality Score, Account Activity, Impression Share, and Click-Through Rate, the Performance Grader analyzes your AdWords campaigns and compares your score with relative competitors.
The AdWords Performance Grader helps you:
See how well your campaigns are really doing
Understand where you fit into the competitive landscape
Learn tips for improving your score
The AdWords Performance Grader shows you where and how to make improvements to your AdWords campaign that will improve your performance and save you money. It’s an expert analysis, and it’s absolutely free!
Try WordStream Today: Free!
Don't pin all your search marketing hopes on the Google AdWords Keyword Tool. See for yourself the difference private, personalized keyword research can make. Learn more about WordStream:
- Sign up for a free trial of WordStream Advisor
- Try our Keyword Research Suite free, no sign-up required!
With WordStream, beating AdWords at the PPC game has never been easier.