Well well well, if it isn't Friday once again. Since next Friday is Christmas, and the following is New Year's Day, this is my last Friday roundup of the year (and decade!). And I'd like to use it to say THANK YOU to everyone who helped us spread the word about our new free tools, the Keyword Niche Finder and the Free Keyword Grouper.
Here's a roundup of all the coverage around the Web:
- On Search Engine People, Terry Van Horne talks about getting back to the "roots of SEO" with keyword research, calling the Keyword Niche Finder "simply one of the best tools I've seen for quite some time."
- Ann Smarty reviewed the tools on Search Engine Journal: "WordStream, a must-have keyword management tool for PPC marketers we reviewed earlier, has just launched two really nice free tools."
- On PPC-Advice, Garry Przyklenk did a great write-up of these new "smart" tools: "The long tail is highly difficult to optimize, especially in SEO because, as the name suggests, the long tail is extremely looooooooooooooooooooooooooong. On any given site, you might have to sift through hundreds and hundreds of phrases in your web analytics software in order to manually identify groups of similar terms that actually convert. Not anymore. Enter the Keyword Niche Finder from WordStream. Finding those profitable keyword niches just got easier."
- A review on Cruiter Talk says the Free Keyword Niche Finder "might prove to be one of the best free tools on the market. […] Both tools are fast—faster even than some basic keyword tools and certainly way faster than grouping keywords by hand."
- A review on SEO Wizardry says "Well finally new keyword research tools which actually offers something new and expands on the current offerings." They call it "not quite the ultimate keyword research tool, but close" and praise the organization abilities: "Regardless of whether you're using keyword tools, or completing Keyword Research tasks manually, without effective organization the lists created of are little use. I have for quite some time been promoting the development of keyword lists which are categorized into Main and Sub Groupings and building both Organic and Paid Search Campaigns around these keyword groupings, this is something these tools do exceptionally well."
- Ditio.net called the tools "quite smart and effective … Seems, to me, like the best way to choose your keywords."
- Sarah Worsham (Sazbean) reviewed the tools and wrote that the "Keyword Grouper & Keyword Niche Finder used together with the Free Keyword Tool provide a very nice suite of free keyword tools."
- On Web Analytics World, Manoj Jasra says the tools help marketers achieve an "advanced level of keyword organization," which is "critical for creating effective ad groups for PPC campaign advertising and for informing content creation and site navigation for SEO."
- Chris Rand of Business Marketing Online explains how keyword grouping is important for both PPC and natural SEO and says "A couple of intriguing new keyword tools from Wordstream are worth a play if you're exploring this."
- On Blogging Tips, Kevin Muldoon explains how the tools can help search-conscious bloggers. He writes that the Keyword Niche Finder "shows you dozens of keywords and phrases for a specified keyword and highlights the search volume for each phrase. If you are writing some blog posts in order to increase your blogs search engine presence then you should find this particularly helpful." And of the Free Keyword Grouper, Kevin says: "I think this is a great tool. It isn't always clear what phrases you should be targeting so by inputting several in your niche you will be able to see the keyword variations which are searched the most."
- Lee Odden at AllBusiness included the Free Keyword Niche Finder in his list of five free tools for SMB PPC campaigns, writing that it "does some of the grunt work for you in terms of creating tightly related keyword groups (which will become your PPC ad groups)."
- Bryan Eisenberg mentioned us in his ClickZ post on conversion testing: "If your ad groups have loads of keywords in there, WordStream just released a holiday present for you. Take a list of up to 10,000 keywords and they'll group them for you using their free keyword grouper tool."
- Search Engine Land columnist Josh Dreller wrote an article about how to group your keywords in which he says: "Once you’re gone through the process of segmenting by message, management, and Quality Score, then you still have the chore of segmenting by branded terms, top of funnel/bottom of funnel terms, where in the buying cycle they seem, competitor terms, product terms, etc. It’s a huge ordeal. Luckily, there’s help. WordStream is a tool specifically designed to help search marketers segment their keywords. This week they released two free tools that utilize their grouping technology."
- Nathania Johnson reviewed the tools for Search Engine Watch, noting that "Both tools work extremely fast and are quite decent for being free"—great news "if you're on a super-tight budget."
- The 5 Star Affiliate Programs blog points out that these tools are great additions to your "affiliate marketing toolbox."
- Joe Ryder, the eBusiness Coach for the Little Guy writes: I am very impressed with the free tools at WordStream for keyword management. There are a lot of tools, especially with Google, that are vague unless you have an AdWords account. For those who stick to organic search and link-building for page rank, it makes it tough. But tools like the Free Keyword Tool, the Free Keyword Niche Finder and the Free Keyword Grouper gives small businesses and do-it-yourself marketers some good basic structure for keyword campaigns.
- And Todd Mintz of SEM PDX (the home of Portland's Search Marketing Community) proclaims: WordStream is not Just another Keyword Tool! (find out why!)
Other blogs and sites that announced the new tools include BizReport, Dev Basu, The Domains, Marketing Infowrangler, Marketing Jive, Roundpeg, SEO Adviser, Business Marketing Online, Web Strategy Workshop, and WebSite Magazine.
We'd also like to thank the hundreds of people who mentioned the Free Keyword Grouper and Free Keyword Niche Finder on Twitter this week—far too many to list here. This is just a sampling of those follow-worthy folks.
- @DeanLand Visiting this planet for undertermined amount of time.
- @AndrewBates Technologist and Uber Geek - Search Engine Optimization, Social Media, Online Marketing
- @steaprok Eat, Drink, Sleep Online Marketing
- @joshsummerhays PPC difference maker, disciple of the beautiful game, Big Kid trying to raise little kids.
- @CraigMJamieson Own & operate B2B NetWorking Groups. Active blogger & student of social media particularly for business applications. Train & Consult in B2B Selling Apps
- @ryanleary Social Media and Recruiting enthusiast. I make friends for a living and leverage the wacky power of web 2.0 and Social Networking to build business.
- @LindaCarmical Smart Content Smart Move -Writer -Copywriter -Editor -Ghost Blogger -Technical Writer -Press Releases -Ebook -Product Review -Providing quality since 1995.
- @monchito SEO, inhouse, PHP, siloing, white/blue/gray/black and aqua hat, Dutch. Making bucks for myself and others
- @gprzyklenk Online marketing professional and blogger specializing in PPC, SEO, web analytics (Google and Omniture), and social media.
- @the_gman Houston SEO/SEM Guy - Blogger - Friend - Lover - Skydiver - entrepreneur - Tweeter & President Of Search Engine Marketing Group in Houston TX.
- @Berkens President, Worldwide Media, owns 75K+ domains, MostWantedDomains.com, blog TheDomains.com, Member Florida Bar, 2009 Domainer of the Year, Domain Hall Of Fame
- @martinbowling conquering the world, 140 characters at a time :)
- @marenhogan mom, wife, chief marketing officer at recruitingblogs.com, co-host of galavanting.tv, salsa singer, homeschooling mom, phenom cook, cereal lover, I heart boots
- @jordanlevy SEO/Social Media Marketing expert/consultant based out of Chicago
- @dannomatic I'm a brand new Dad and entrepreneur living in small(ish) town Ontario and enjoying every minute of it!
- @SEOcopy If you are not prepared to be wrong you will never come up with anything original! ~ Sir Ken Robinson. I work @Level343
Follow Us on Twitter
- @WordStream Best Keyword Management Platform ever!
- @WordStream_PPC WordStream is a dynamic PPC productivity tool that helps search marketers research, organize and act on PPC keyword data.
- @LarryKim Avid search marketer, newlywed
- @TomDemers New father, PPC wiz, has a great laugh
- @SMRichardson Trivia, SEM, Red Sox, animals, travel and music
- @Boston_SEO SEO genius, former rockstar, 2 adorable daughters
- @EGabbert Writer, poet, editor, SEO, SEM, foodist, aesthete/rationalist
- @John_A_Lee Consult on PPC, SEO, Social Media & Blogging. Paid Search Manager with WordStream. Teller of bad jokes, music junkie and aspiring chef.
- @Quality_Score PPC pundit (identity unknown), mysterious dispenser of sage Quality Score advice
Or follow us all in one fell swoop: WordStream now has a Twitter list!
Have a Tip for WordStream's Follow Friday?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.