So what are you going to be for Halloween? One of these kooky costumes for SEOs perhaps? (I like the RT of someone else's costume.) Too conceptual for you? You could work instead on "optimizing" a more traditional costume for maximum recognition—there's nothing worse than getting all dressed up and then having to tell everyone who you are.
In the meantime, reading our best posts of the month should work up your appetite for the incoming candy (fun-size is the best size).
- The Problem with Footer Links in SEO: This guest post by Lior Levin explores why footer links may be detrimental to both your site and the site you're linking to.
- Google is Testing New Sitelinks: Ken spotted a new sitelinks format in the SERPs. Have you seen this test?
- 11 Essential WordPress Plugins for New Blogs: Don't miss these tried-and-true plugins if you have a WordPress site or blog, including analytics, SEO and backup plugins.
- Headline Writing for PPC Ads: Dos and Don'ts: You only have 25 characters to play with in your PPC ad headline – make them count!
- Check Out Our Expanded Quality Score Toolkit: We added a really useful worksheet to our Quality Score Toolkit; you can input some key numbers from your AdWords account and get a quick but in-depth view of how you're doing quality-wise. The full kit (also including a video, cheatsheet and white paper) is still free!
- Google: If Not Broken Then Fix Else Ignore End If: A lot of marketers really hate the new AdWords Keyword Tool. Here's why.
- Rumor: Facebook, Apple to Form Terrifying Uber-Brand: People have speculated recently that Apple wants to buy Facebook. What would the world after such an acquisition look like?
- Blog Strategies: How to Build Relationships with Bloggers: Ken explains why relationship building is just as important as link building if you want your blog to flourish.
- High-volume keywords vs. low-volume keywords: What's the difference? What are the pros and cons of each?
- Keyword Research for Email Marketing: In this guest post, Barry Adams applies the principles of SEO keyword research to email newsletters.
Black hat photo: striatic