If you were ever wondering how Google Suggest is so good at predicting your desired search, Google today revealed (through a job posting) some rare insight into exactly what powers Google suggestions.
If you search on Google today with Google Instant on, you'll see a little link on the bottom of the suggested searches that says "We're Hiring Autocompleters", as shown here:
Required Responsibilities of a Google Autocompleter
- Watch anonymized search queries as they come in to Google.
- Predict and type completions based on your personal experience and intuition.
- Suggest spelling corrections when relevant.
- Keep updated with query trends and offer fresh suggestions.
Google Autocompleter Required Skills
- Excellent knowledge of English and at least one other language.
- Excellent knowledge of grammatical rules (e.g. parts of speech, parsing).
- Understanding of the search engine space.
- Proven web search experience.
- Good typing skills (at least 32,000 WPM).
- Willingness to travel (in order to provide local autocompletions) or relocate to obscure places like Nauru and Tuvalu to develop knowledge of local news and trends.
- Certificate in psychic reading strongly preferred: palm, tarot, hypnosis, astrology, numerology, runes and/or auras.
Wow. I would have never guessed! They even have a video testimonial from a fellow Google autocompleter, which also discloses some information on how their spell-checking feature works.
Is fast typing your super power? Are you always finishing other people's sentences? If you think you have what it takes to be a Google Autocompleter, apply here!
Hit me up on Twitter: