Duplicate Keyword Tool - Learn how to Find and De-Duplicate Keywords within Your WordStream Account
What are duplicate keywords?
Keywords that appear in multiple WordStream groups.
How duplicate keywords impact PPC campaigns
If a keyword is running in more than one ad group, the search engine will choose which ad group (and which ad text) to show.
- Quickly identify your best performing ad groups by letting the search engines decide what ad should be shown
- Make better decisions about where to focus your time and budget appropriately
- Get performance feedback for brand new campaigns sooner
- Duplicate keywords will be competing with each other to appear, and there may not be any clear winners, which could lead to a less effective impact on your audience
- It’s difficult to track keyword performance if keywords are in more than one ad group/campaign
- It’s difficult to isolate the various factors that contribute to PPC performance
Adding Duplicate Keywords to your PPC Campaigns
Don’t worry if you try to add a keyword from a WordStream keyword group that already exists in your current PPC campaign. WordStream will catch the duplication and ask you what you would like to do:
As you can see from the dialog, you have two options in dealing with the duplicate keywords:
- Pause the duplicate keywords currently in your live PPC campaigns and add the keywords to the new ad group you are creating in your PPC account.
- Leave the duplicate keywords that are currently live in your PPC campaign and only add the non-duplicate keywords to your new ad group.
WordStream Keyword Group Duplication Options
De-duplicate across entire profile (Recommended)
- Definition: A keyword can only appear in one group within the entire account. There is no duplication between parent/child groups (campaigns/ad groups), and there is no duplication among child groups (ad groups)
- Sample use case: Your company uses advanced keyword performance tracking and reporting. Therefore, the easiest way to keep track of keyword-level performance is to only allow a keyword to appear in one place.
De-duplicate sibling keyword groups
- Definition: A keyword can only appear in one child group (ad group) within a parent group (campaign). However, there is duplication allowed among parent groups (campaigns).
- Sample use case: You run ads in the Content Network and/or use geo-targeting on your campaigns. You would like to clone your ad groups/campaigns for use in these other publishing networks.
- Definition: A keyword can appear in multiple child groups (ad groups) and parent groups (campaigns).
- Sample use case: You are launching a new campaign and want to let the engines decide where to run ads to help you
Advanced WordStream Keyword Group Duplication Settings
Adjusting Group Priority Scores
- Definition: For accounts set to "De-duplicate across the entire profile", there are instances where a keyword matches the grouping rules for more than one group. In these instances the WordStream system automatically matches it to the most relevant group based on proprietary grouping algorithms. However, if you would like to override these default rules for overlapping keywords, you can do so by adjusting the priority of a group to force keywords to flow into that group.
- Sample use case: Even though a keyword is a better match semantically for one group, you would like to force it into another group because you know from experience that will be a more profitable ad group for it to appear in.
- How to do it: If you have your account set to “De-duplicate across entire profile” the priority of all groups will be set to 0 by default. Therefore, all you have to do to increase priority of one group over another is change the priority setting to 1. You can implement more sophisticated priority rules beyond this, but this is the most basic scenario.
Adjusting Group Priority Scores Scenario
I’m a shoe retailer with my WordStream account set to de-duplicate across my entire profile and I want “waterproof hiking boots” to live in the “boots hiking” group rather than the “boots waterproof” group.
To override the default priority settings, I would change the priority for “boots hiking” from 0 to 1.
Now “waterproof hiking boots” live in “boots hiking.
Changing Keyword Group Duplication Settings in WordStream
To change your keyword duplication settings go to:
Settings > WordStream Settings > Advanced Settings > Keyword De-duplication Settings