This is the case because properly targeted ad text and landing pages provide several crucial benefits to your advertising efforts:
- More conversions
- Higher click-through rates
- Raised Quality Score
- Lower costs
By creating relevant ad text and sending visitors to a related, targeted, optimized landing page , you are improving your potential customer's overall experience. Consumers are more likely to click on an ad specifically worded to match their search query, and are more likely to perform the action you want them to take when directed to a strategically created landing page.
Additionally, search engines determine Quality Scores  and your keywords' minimum bids  (as well as First Page Bid ) based partly on the relevance of your ad text/landing page to the search query a visitor has entered.
This tutorial deals with ad text and landing page optimization suggestions and techniques. For a more indepth how-to look at creating ad text please see the Authoring and Assigning Ad Text  tutorial.
Feel free to skip ahead to either section of the guide:
Having utilized WordStream's keyword grouping , keyword research , Web analytics tools , and the application's Ad Group and ad campaign editing tools (see the WordStream Search Engine Marketing Best Practices Guide  for each individual module on those and related topics), you now have very tightly constructed Ad Groups .
The next step is to create ad text that speaks to each of these groupings. WordStream offers intuitive ad text generating  and editing tools that suggest Quality Score friendly text.
For instance, here we have created an Ad Group around the key phrase "custom tshirts." As you can see, WordStream has automatically made suggestions for our ad text:
While WordStream creates intelligent suggestions for your ad text, there are a few important optimization modifications we recommend making before publishing an Ad Group:
- Edit ad text to include calls to action and proper punctuation - Creating a clear call to action (buy, download, try, etc.) and cleaning up the automated text suggestions will make your ads more compelling and will improve your click through rate.
- Create a compelling display URL - The display URL above is very likely to entice a searcher looking for "custom tshirts" and similar variations. Note that while you can't change your domain (if you are sending searchers to tshirts.com, you need to display a variation of tshirts.com as your display URL) you can amend long tracking display URLs (like the one above) to read better to a searcher.
- Check your destination URL - Be sure to check that you are sending users to the proper landing page within the text editor.
So, the optimized version of this ad will look something like this:
You'll obviously want to control your own messaging, but the thing to note about this ad is the clear call to action (act today) the use of relevant ad text in the headline and description (custom tshirts and custom made tshirts) the capitalization, and the clean, appealing display URL.
Now, all that's left is to send these visitors to the proper landing page.
WordStream is a highly useful search engine optimization solution . This is due to the application's capacity to suggest content ideas and page structure to your company's Web authors, among other things.
This utility can be applied to the creation of optimized landing pages. You can easily visualize your WordStream Keyword Groups to instantly view an intelligent suggestion for how to structure the AdWords landing page  for that Ad Group:
Here we see the list of traffic-driving "custom tshirts" variations.
We'll want to use the group's core term (custom tshirts) as the title (<title></title>) tag, while using the other popular terms within a group (custom made tshirts, custom tshirt printing, etc.) as "header" or "h" tags. The content and image alt attributes should also speak to these key terms (and, of course, we should be selling custom tshirts on the page!).
This way, search engines see that we are sending people to relevant pages. This increases our click-through rate, improves Quality Score, and satisfies the search engines' desire to put searchers in touch with relevant results. And, you wind up with happy customers; people actually taking the actions you want at lower costs than you could otherwise hope to pay per action .
learn about more than ad text and landing pages
If you are interested in learning other cost-saving, conversion-increasing optimization techniques, take a look at any of the modules in our Search Engine Marketing Best Practices Guide  where you'll find tons of helpful tips and tricks for getting the most out of your WordStream account:
- How to Manage Bids Guide 
- How to Conduct Keyword Research Guide 
- How to Manage & Automate Workflow Guide 
- How to Group Keywords Guide 
- How to Identify & Filter Negative Keywords 
- How to Set up Ad Groups & Ad Campaigns 
- How to Integrate WordStream with Existing Google AdWords Accounts Guide