On-page SEO just isn't enough to secure great rankings. You also need incoming links, which signal to search engines that people value your content. You'll get the best results if these links are:
- From high-authority domains
- Relevant to your marketspace
- Deep, i.e., not just to your home page
- Optimized with targeted anchor text 
So how are you supposed to get these links? Write great content and hope for the best? Yes, to some extent, that's a strategy, but unless you're very patient, you'll probably want to be more proactive about getting good links.
One way to do this is by writing guest posts for prominent blogs in your space. The WordStream blog invites proposals for and submissions of guest posts that cover topics of interest to our audience (including SEO, PPC, keyword research and management, social media, and general Internet marketing).
In return for your expertise, we can offer:
- Links back to your site, with the anchor text of your choosing
- A link from a PageRank (PR)  6 domain
- An opportunity to gain traffic and new readers
If you're interested in writing a guest post for WordStream, send me an email .