Web analytics are a window into your search campaigns' performance, and integrating analytics with your keyword workbench, as discussed in Step 4 , enables you to act on that valuable data. The next step, naturally, is to actually start taking action! You can do this by focusing on your top keyword performers.
There's no end to the number of activities you can carry out in search engine marketing. The trick to finding continued success lies in being able to determine where best to spend your time (and your money). The most powerful way to prioritize workflow? Use analytics to ensure you can closely follow your best performing keywords and recognize opportunities you're not currently capitalizing on.
There are a couple of ways to approach this:
- Focus on the groups of keywords that drive the most traffic and spend. Remember, your top-performing keyword group may not be the same as the single top-performing keyword. Target your ad campaigns and organic content at these groups first.
- Identify gaps in your PPC and SEO campaigns by analyzing them side by side and against potential traffic gains. With keyword source analysis, you can easily compare the performance of keywords from paid and organic search to each other and to traffic estimates from keyword suggestion tools.
When you've determined which keyword groups deserve immediate attention, start funneling those keywords into content that can capture qualified traffic, including:
- Targeted PPC text ads – Your ads should be closely aligned with your keyword groups, focusing on the top keywords in each segment. Be sure to include a compelling call to action, and write several ads so you can test variations against each other.
- Relevant PPC landing pages – Ideally, each keyword group and PPC ad will be connected to highly relevant landing page. This leads to high Quality Scores, which improve your ad positioning and lower your costs.
- Optimized Web content – Your keyword groups aren't just useful for your PPC campaign structure. You can also use them to generate ideas for website and blog copy that will draw in recurring organic SEO traffic.
Crafting content around your hardest-working keywords will ensure that your efforts pay off. However, to keep ROI high, it's also important to eliminate areas of wasteful spending. In the next step, we'll see how to weed out undesirable keywords.
A great way to start identifying your most important keywords is to take advantage of a free trial of WordStream Keyword Management for PPC  or WordStream Keyword Management for SEO , depending on your search focus. Contact us today  to set up a free demo or start your trial.