What is Search Engine Marketing?
Search engine marketing definition: Marketing to internet users through natural search engine result page listings and paid advertising placement.
Search engine marketing is a multi-billion industry spearheaded by Google, Bing, and Yahoo that is often broken down to two segments - free (organic) and paid (inorganic) search. Free search engine marketing, or search engine optimization (SEO), uses on-page and off-page strategies to help search engines better understand the relative importance of a website's pages. Search engine advertising, of pay per click (PPC) advertising, are advertising platforms search engines provide to advertisers to place their ads. Due to the growing demand and complex nature of "search," as search engine marketing firms would like to say, it's often hard to determine good SEO/PPC experts from bad SEO/PPC snakeoil salesmen.Search engine marketing services from WordStream offer three core benefits for your business:
- Productivity - By providing a series of keyword management , keyword search tools and automation tools WordStream enables you to accomplish more search engine marketing in considerably less time, and with clearer workflow prioritization.
- Relevance - The software creates a system of daily keyword suggestion , and arms you with negative keyword tools that help you to consistently refine your keyword list. This will help you improve your search engine rankings and, in turn, earn you a better Quality Score in AdWords .
- Value - WordStream is designed to discover new, inexpensive keyword advertising  opportunities, and the keyword ad software  secures algorithmic pricing advantages for you from the search engines. This saves you money by ensuring a low minimum bid, saves time otherwise spent searching and analyzing manually, and generates better results for your search engine marketing campaigns.In the coming paragraphs, we'll show you how the tools go about providing this improved efficiency, value, and traffic quality so that you can improve both your paid search returns, your organic SERP  rankings, and your overall search engine marketing strategy. 
Search Engine Marketing Services From WordStream
Why use WordStream ? WordStream's keyword management solution provides you with innovative instruments that can greatly improve your search engine marketing campaigns, making three otherwise impossible web marketing  tasks remarkably simple:
- Deep, Continuous Keyword Research - SEM keyword research  and management is at the core of a successful search engine marketing campaign. WordStream recognizes this and offers search-focused web analytics tools and a keyword generator  which will arm you with a comprehensive and exclusive list of keywords to bid on and to target through search engine optimization .
- Intelligent Keyword Grouping - Specializing in keyword management, WordStream is a search engine marketing company that facilitates the creation of algorithm-friendly keyword groups . Additionally, WordStream's grouping tools team with the application's research and analytics capabilities to provide you with a wholly unique opportunity to unearth a mass of inexpensive clicks for your search engine marketing campaign.
- Campaign Wide Management - The most effective approach to PPC search engine marketing  is through a single, keyword and analytics-driven, shared workspace. With the aid of WordStream's optimization and campaign management functionalities, you can manipulate and receive suggestions for entire campaigns from a single dashboard, promoting seamless collaboration among your team.
PPC Search Engine Marketing Strategies: the Role of Keywords
As a search engine marketing firm, WordStream takes a software as a service approach (SaaS), offering web analytics, keyword research, and keyword suggestion tools  to help you continuously develop a search engine keyword  list that provides your campaign with two important benefits:
- A Never Ending List of Keywords - WordStream initially mines your website's historic logs for keyword data, which is an advantageous first step given that your keywords will be pulled directly from your actual site data. But the keyword research process doesn't stop here. To optimize your search engine marketing efforts, the software then tracks visits to your site every day thereafter, and enters new search queries into your WordStream dashboard based on what visitors are actually typing in search engines to find your site. This ensures that you have an extensive list of keyword information, while adding new keywords to your account's keyword database daily.
- A Relevant, Exclusive Keyword List - Because these keywords come from your site-specific log and traffic data, you are the only one with this particular list of keywords. Additionally, you can be sure these keywords are highly specific to your site and your business, because the information is being pulled from your site. This is a huge advantage in search engine marketing, especially when other search engine marketing firms only provide pre-made cookie cutter campaigns.
WordStream's search engine marketing services and keyword suggestion benefits are predicated upon two main technological advantages offered by the software:
- A Stream of Keywords - The search engine marketing software makes daily keyword suggestions, including "long tail keywords " from the long tail keyword tool, which offers you a constant flow of researched keywords that are specific enough to drive targeted traffic at a lower cost.
- Campaign Maintenance Tools - Additionally, the application helps you to continually refine and optimize this unending list through keyword segmentation by relevance  and size, negative keyword suggestion , and easy-to-use ad group creation and management.
In the screenshot below we see a customer's "keyword graph":
Each bar on the graph represents a search term from this customer's WordStream account. There are two important things to note from this particular screen shot:
- Keywords Found - We see here that WordStream's keyword analytics and keyword research tool have amassed over a million and a half keywords. Every day, this account adds a few dozen new keyword variations to its WordStream search engine marketing dashboard.
- Long Tail Keywords - The graph's "long tail" actually extends far beyond this illustration; this "tail" is filled with highly relevant, often inexpensive keyword opportunities. Finding these manually and consistently would be impossible without search engine marketing services. WordStream makes it possible by automating laborious, research-intensive tasks and presenting you with suggestions for making intelligent decisions about your data.
Thus, relevant and potentially favorable advertising opportunities are being presented by the WordStream search engine marketing product every day.
Search Engine Marketing : SEM Keyword Grouping
Once you've amassed this enormous list of keywords, there is the issue of maintaining and manipulating them in such a way that you can really capitalize on your stock of long tail terms and inexpensive clicks.
Google and the other search engines attempt to provide relevant ads for their searchers (who are also their consumers). To accomplish this, they use an algorithm which mainly focuses on:
- Relevance - The relevance of a keyword to its Ad Group  (how closely related the terms within an Ad Group are).
- Click-Through Rate - The rate at which people who see your ad actually click on it.
While there are other factors involved, these two are central to determining your Quality Score  (the score assigned to your ads to determine how trusted and relevant they are). More trusted, relevant Google ads  are rewarded with:
- Better Ad Position - Better ad position in search engine marketing leads to higher click-through rates (CTR) , creating a virtuous cycle (higher CTR leads to better ad position leads to higher CTR, and on it goes).
- Lower Costs - Google determines what you pay for ad position  based on the above factors. Higher Quality Scores mean you pay less money for the same ad position.
When you advertise on Google , a high Quality Score is a huge factor in determining your AdWords success . WordStream offers powerful keyword grouping tools which allow you to easily segment keyword lists (even those totaling in the millions) into tightly related, hierarchical keyword groups specifically designed to raise your Quality Score.
Because of WordStream's advanced querying functionality, turning these search engine marketing lists of keywords into a 'tree' of tight groupings can be done in minutes. Let's take a look at how it works.
Search Engine Marketing : Creating Keyword Groups
Imagine we have a website that sells medical supplies. We've uploaded our log files to our WordStream account, so we have a nice list of keywords to start grouping.
With the click of a button, we start to receive keyword group segmentation  suggestions from the search engine marketing software:
In the above illustration we can see the ease of segmentation within WordStream for search engine marketing.
You're immediately offered algorithmically generated keyword suggestions based on the number of relevant keywords a group would consist of, and the amount of traffic that group would drive to your site. You have the option to create a segmentation with a single click.
Once you've created a segmentation, you can create several related groups at once with a single click:
We can then drill even further down to create an even better, more closely related series of search engine marketing keyword segmentations following the same process:
The above represents a number of very closely related ad groups. Along with the creation of relevant ads and related landing pages, these new ad groups will result in higher Quality Scores and lower costs.
Search Engine Marketing Services : Campaign Wide Management
WordStream's search engine marketing software  provides a comprehensive SEM solution. You can manage numerous aspects of your pay-per-click campaigns from a single dashboard. This keeps all aspects of your search engine marketing campaigns, from keyword research to creating and deploying Google AdWords text ads with our AdWords tool , in one central hub. Beyond the benefit of staying organized, this also helps you to see how all of the pieces of your search engine marketing campaign relate to one another.
While WordStream does automate the more labor-intensive tasks of campaign management, you as a search marketer remain in control - reaping the benefits of saving time and money and focusing on guiding your search engine marketing campaign's course with the help of WordStream's suggestions.
WordStream's A to Z search engine marketing services include:
- Web Analytics - WordStream tracks search traffic to your site and stores invaluable keyword data, even offering a means of parsing historical log files to find search information from as far back as you can produce Web logs for.
- Keyword Research and Suggestion - WordStream's Keyword Analyzer  and Keyword Suggestion Tools  cycle all of this information into your account, providing you with real, actionable keyword research and keyword suggestions for search engine marketing.
- Keyword Grouping - The application places these researched keywords into the same platform where you'll find WordStream's keyword tools  have a cost-saving, grouping functionality.
- Ad Group Creation and Ad Text Authoring - Once you've created closely related Keyword Groups with WordStream's tool-set, you can then turn those Keyword Groups into live Ad Groups , and even assign the Ad Group its own ad text with just a few clicks.
- Campaign Publishing - WordStream offers full integration with leading search engines' APIs, enabling you to download and post account changes to your live search engine marketing accounts with the click of a button.
- Conversion Rate Optimization - With tools to help you increase the relevance of your ads and landing pages to the keywords you're bidding on, you can raise conversion rates  while lowering cost per conversion.
This is a remarkably simple process:
With a click of the button, a Keyword Group has become an Ad Group.
The next step is to create a text ad:
Pictured above is WordStream's ad text suggestion editor. WordStream pulls keyword information from the Ad Group you created to suggest Quality Score friendly ad text.
You can spend a minute or two editing the text to ensure the punctuation and calls to action are appropriate and send the group to the right landing page .
It's easy to see how with this ad text population and editing functionality, you can create text ads for numerous Ad Groups in a matter of minutes.
Search Engine Marketing Includes SEO
WordStream doesn't just function as a suite of pay per click tools  for search engine marketing. PPC can be used to inform and optimize search engine optimization (SEO) efforts, and vice versa. For example, you can prove that your keyword grouping can produce traffic and conversions through PPC, and this in turn guides you toward which keywords are best to focus on for your organic search efforts. It helps you to build your site's linking structure as well as to prioritize your content.
WordStream's Keyword Research Suite is the perfect SEO software  solution. It offers an all in one SEO  package, providing you with the tools you need for keyword management and SEO content creation.
Search Engine Marketing Services : Why You Need WordStream's SEM Software
WordStream is a fully-featured search engine marketing application that offers a lot in the way of utility, but the software's value proposition can basically be boiled down to the three core features which provide the three central benefits offered by WordStream:
- Deep, continuous keyword research
- Intelligent keyword grouping
- Campaign wide management tools
You'll be able to manage every aspect of your search engine marketing campaigns in a few hours a week. All while drastically lowering your acquisition costs and improving your results.
To start leveraging these features and to start experiencing the search engine marketing benefits and results, you can:
- Try WordStream Free Today 
- Request a Live Demonstration 
- Sign up for our Search Marketing Webinar 
- Subscribe to our Newsletter 
- Learn more about WordStream's Online Marketing Services