Microsoft adCenter (formerly MSN adCenter) is a pay-per-click  (PPC) advertising platform similar to Google AdWords  or Yahoo Search Marketing (YSM). As with AdWords, whether or not your PPC ad  displays and in what position is determined by your maximum bid  as well as your ad's click-through rate  (CTR) and other factors affecting Quality Score .
Microsoft adCenter Best Practices
- Ensure a high degree of relevancy between each keyword  and its corresponding ad and landing page . The best way to achieve this is by grouping keywords by relevance  from the get-go.
- Create small keyword groups  (the Microsoft adCenter blog  recommends groups of 20 or fewer keywords).
- Do your research: At the very least, use a basic keyword research tool like WordStream's embedded Google keyword tool , so you know you're bidding on relevant terms.
- Include keywords in the titles of your text ads .
- Include several versions of the ad for each ad group  for testing; this way you can discover the wording that captures the most clicks.
- Add and update negatives: Strong use of negative keywords  means you can employ the broad match  type to it best effect.
- Use deep links as your destination URLs; these are more likely to be targeted to specific keywords than a home page or broad index page.
In addition, you should be aware of a few differences between adCenter and other paid search marketing  platforms:
- In adCenter, you can increase your bid for certain demographics. For example, you can raise your bid by up to 100% for women between the ages of 50 and 70. Your ad will still display for other demographics, but you may get more impressions and better ad positions  for that demographic. This is useful if you determine that a certain demographic is more likely to convert.
- The ad approval process can be more stringent in adCenter, so be sure that your ad is not only highly relevant to the keyword and landing page, but also free of grammar and spelling errors. Don't over-punctuate or use phrases like "Click here!"
- It's been noted that conversion rates on adCenter tend to be higher than for AdWords or YSM. However, total number of impressions and traffic generated may be lower.
|Try WordStream for PPC FREE!|
Get instant access to WordStream's PPC Management and Quality Score Optimization Tools. Risk-free, no credit card required!
More adCenter Resources
Learn more about using Microsoft adCenter including how to integrate an adCenter account with WordStream:
In this tutorial, learn how to export your keywords, ad campaigns , and ad groups from the WordStream system in Microsoft adCenter format so you can quickly push your changes to your adCenter account.
Learn how to import your exported AdWords account into adCenter.
Still Need Help with PPC Advertising?
Download our free white paper  on PPC best practices for more tips on maximizing your pay-per-click ROI.