Learn About PPC Pay-Per-Click Marketing
Pay-per-click (PPC ) marketing is complex, collaborative, and iterative. It attempts to satiate three distinct appetites:
- Searchers - People click on paid search  ads more often than any other form of digital advertising. They don't mind being advertised to, but they want to be offered products that answer their questions and fulfill their needs.
- Engines - The search engines are forced to cater to searchers and advertisers simultaneously. The searchers comprise their user-base, while the advertisers provide them with their revenue stream. The engines want to provide relevant results, first and foremost, while offering a highly targeted, revenue-driving advertising channel.
- Advertisers - Advertisers are offered a unique means of putting their message in front of an audience who is actively seeking their product.
Wondering what is PPC? Let us explain...
What is PPC Marketing?
What is PPC (pay per click) marketing? Pay per click marketing revolves around keywords. Keyword research, grouping, and organization is the key to creating winning AdWords campaigns , and search engines reward advertisers who can use effective keywords to create well organized, intelligently targeted pay-per-click campaigns . So do searchers.
So it only makes sense that those searchers, your potential customers, should be an integral source for your keyword research. If you can shape your pay-per-click advertising  efforts based on actual keyword traffic data  and goal conversions instead of third-party estimates, you will not only save money by lowering your irrelevant traffic, but you’ll be leagues ahead of your competition—competition that doesn’t have the integrated keyword management capabilities that WordStream provides.
By using WordStream and recognizing the importance of keyword taxonomy based on actual data in your campaigns, you can expect to:
- Grow Your Customer Base - Connect with people deliberately seeking a product like yours, and make them happy by providing them with an offer relevant to their search query.
- Lower Costs - Enjoy an algorithmically generated discount from the search engines in exchange for making their users happy.
The difficulty is in the execution. This page will explain how you can manage your PPC efforts more efficiently  and optimize the relevance of your campaigns for PPC marketing.
The good news for advertisers and Web marketers  is that in giving the search engines what they want (relevant pay-per-click ads ) you're also delivering targeted advertisements to people who are literally seeking out your product.
In order to get the most out of your pay-per-click marketing or affiliate marketing  campaign, you need to follow a few best practices. WordStream’s keyword and AdWords management software  helps you accomplish all of these important steps, from keyword research to AdWords bid management .
- Identify Numerous Traffic-Driving Keywords and Potential Traffic Sources 
- Create Closely Related Keyword Groups 
- Convert Keyword Groups into Ad Groups 
- Designate Negative Keywords 
- Delegate Your Budget with AdWords Bidding  Strategies and AdWords Bid Management 
- Create Ad Text  that Relates to Your Ad Group's Keywords
- Create Landing Pages  that are Relevant to Your Keywords and Ad Text
- Repeat the Process Daily
Carrying out these processes will provide you with:
- Higher Quality Score - The above is the search-engine prescribed formula for raising your AdWords click-through rate and keyword Quality Scores.
- Lowered Costs - By increasing Quality Score , your account will see lower first-page bids, and you'll be able to pay less for a better ad position in Google's sponsored links.
- Improved Traffic Quality - In continually creating more and more relevant ads and landing pages while finding new keyword opportunities  and carefully constructing ad groupings, you are not only lowering your costs by way of pricing incentives from the engines: you're also creating a keyword portfolio that gets iteratively better targeted with time.
WordStream offers strategic automation in carrying out pay-per-click advertising management  tasks. PPC software will allow you to be more efficient in constructing and growing AdWords campaigns because it recognizes the importance of keyword organization and continuous growth. Let's take a look at how WordStream answers each of the above pay-per-click marketing  challenges:
Identifying Keywords for Your Pay-Per-Click Marketing Campaign
Building a keyword list is a crucial part of pay-per-click business marketing , and organizing that list is equally important. You need to identify terms that will drive traffic while ensuring that those terms are relevant to your site.
You can accomplish this with the WordStream PPC Advisor software and its suite of pay-per-click tools that provide an extensive, relevant database for you:
When you sign up for WordStream PPC Advisor, your AdWords account will be linked up to the software. WordStream will then begin analyzing your keyword performance, suggesting new keywords ideas based on your current top performers, as well as pointing out costly, low performing keywords and helping you find solutions for improving them.
The software makes it easy to continually discover new, profitable broad and long-tail keywords you may be missing out on. WordStream (and the search engines) default keywords to be set to broad match . By keeping this setting or creating a phrase match setting, you are allowing the search engine to match your keyword choice to other keywords it deems related.
Creating these more inclusive match types ensures that you will be continually expanding your keyword list, creating more and more specific keyword distinctions. This is powerful functionality because:
- More Keywords Means More Impressions - Creating an expanded list of keywords means that your ad will show against a greater number of search queries
- The Impressions Are Relevant - You know that the impressions are relevant to your business, because they are derived from your personalized AdWords account
- The Traffic Improves with Time - WordStream is an iterative, learning machine. The PPC management software  offers keyword discovery and negative keyword tools so that you can constantly strengthen and streamline your existing keyword database while you expand to new keyword opportunities.
Creating Keyword Groups for Pay-Per-Click Marketing
The next step is grouping these keywords for pay per click marketing. Proper keyword grouping and organization is the key to pay-per-click advertising  success because it provides higher Quality Scores, better conversion rates, and better market segmentation. Additionally, as was explained above, search engines encourage semantically related groupings.
This task is one of the most arduous and time-consuming parts of maintaining a PPC campaign, and most search marketers currently do this by hand! With the kind of extensive keyword list assembled in the first screenshot, it is near-impossible (or at the very least cost and resource prohibitive) to hope to have it be human maintained. This is where WordStream's grouping tools come in to play.
WordStream makes this process easy by suggesting keyword segmentations for you, and by continuously monitoring your actual site traffic to improve the relevancy of your keyword groups  over time.
It takes only a few minutes to build out extensive, very sophisticated ad campaigns with our keyword grouping tools. You can create these groups with the click of a button. Additionally, this same data can be leveraged in your search engine optimization efforts .
Authoring Relevant Pay-Per-Click Marketing Ad Text and Landing Pages
Thus far we've utilized WordStream's:
- Keyword Suggestion Tools  - To create a customized keyword database founded in our own website's traffic history.
- Keyword Grouper  Tools - To group these keywords into semantically related, Quality Score friendly  keyword groups.
The next step in AdWords campaign management  is creating targeted ad text for Google AdWords pay-per-click  campaigns and sending visitors to relevant AdWords landing pages , which is made markedly simpler due to the fact that we've been able to create well-structured Ad Groups.
The software makes learning AdWords  easy and makes intelligent suggestions for Quality Score friendly, compelling ad text for each WordStream managed group.
While you'll want to create your own messaging and call to action, WordStream's text editor tools offer automated suggestions which greatly reduce the amount of time needed to create multiple text ads, while improving the efficiency, effectiveness and click-through-rate  of these ads.
These suggestions can also be used to intelligently format your pay per click campaign's landing pages . By utilizing the same suggested text as both ad text and "header" and topic-suggestion for your site's landing pages, you are providing users with an improved experience while taking advantage of the search engines' pricing systems.
Use AdWords Performance Grader to See How Your Campaign Measures Up
Once you’ve established your AdWords campaign , you can use Wordstream’s AdWords Performance Grader  to check your progress. The Performance Grader is a comprehensive free tool that helps you evaluate how your AdWords campaigns are performing on several key criteria such as:
- Quality Score
- Text Ad Optimization
- Impression Share
- Click-Through Rate
- Use of Negative Keywords
The AdWords Performance Grader ’s expert analysis shows you where and how to make improvements to your AdWords campaign that will improve your performance and save you money. Following PPC best practices have never been easier with our free report.
Effective search engine marketing requires:
- Targeted, continuous keyword research.
- Intelligent keyword grouping.
- And the production of relevant messaging to searchers who will be interested in your product or service.
WordStream's tool set is specifically designed to automate the more tedious, labor-intensive work associated with these best practices, while providing you with workflow solutions so that you can determine the best use of your resources. WordStream also recognizes that it’s not possible or practical to automate every aspect of search marketing. It’s important for you to retain control as a marketer in order to use the suggestions WordStream has given you to make intelligent decisions.
The application will make your campaign more relevant , offering you:
- Improved Productivity
- Greater Value
- More Relevance
Learn PPC: Learn Pay-Per-Click Marketing Strategies
Still figuring out what is PPC? Wondering how to learn PPC? WordStream offers a number of resources for those looking to learn pay-per-click marketing.
Pay-Per-Click Marketing E-Books : Learn about pay-per-click advertising with our collection of marketing e-books that cover a wide range of topics, such as PPC ad best practices.
AdWords Performance Grader:  The Grader is a great tool for understanding pay-per-click marketing; it analyzes your AdWords account and gives actionable recommendations on what to do to improve you account and why the changes will boost your campaigns.
PPC Success from the AdWords Experts : Read our series of blog interviews with PPC experts who scored unusually high on our Performance Grader as they offer tips and tricks for better pay-per-click marketing. The best way to learn pay-per-click is from the experts!
PPC Marketing Webinars:  Learning about PPC is easy with WordStream's pay-per-click webinars. Our webinars cover topics like paid search marketing  best practices, metrics for success, and improving Quality Score.
Find out just how much of an impact this suite of pay-per-click marketing tools can have on your campaigns by:
- Trying WordStream Free Today 
- Requesting a Live Demonstration 
- Signing up for our Search Marketing Webinar 
- Subscribing to our Newsletter