Welcome to the SEO Wiki Guide, your one-stop-shop for understanding SEO and learning how to rank high in search engine. This is an SEO guide specifically for Google.
SEO Wiki Guide: Covering the Basics
Lets start with the basics.
What is SEO? SEO refers to search engine optimization, or the process of optimizing a website in order to make it easy to find via search engines like Google.
Ranking high in search engines through organic SEO can be difficult. Obtaining good rankings requires following a series of SEO best practices:
- Create Intelligent Site Structure - Your site should feature an information architecture that strategically distributes link equity throughout its pages.
- Research Keywords - SEO keyword research helps you identify the words people are using to talk about your offering and offerings like it. If no one searches for the words on your pages, you won't get traffic . Using an SEO keyword tool can be extremely beneficial for your keyword optimization efforts.
- Optimize On-Page Content - Your website's pages should prominently feature targeted keywords and you should be using keywords intelligently in your headers.
- Interlink Your Site's Content - Creating keyword-rich anchor text from one page's content to another page's content on your site will help indicate to the search engines what each of your pages is about, and will help those pages rank.
- Generate Compelling, Noteworthy Content - Write copy that is informative and interesting enough that people will want to link to it - the most basic organic SEO link building technique of all.
- Build Off-Site Links - You need to engage in link building to get other sites to point to your site as being trustworthy and relevant in order to increase rankings.
SEO Wiki: Keyword Research
Solid keyword research is the foundation of running a top notch SEO campaign. Conducing your keyword research before you write content makes it easy to focus on your most valuable keywords and integrate them easily into your content. It’s best to use a mixture of broad and long-tail keywords.
Learn more about keyword research:
- SEO Wiki Guide to Keyword Competition
- SEO Wiki Guide for Implementing Long-Tail Keywords
- Use WordStream’s Keyword Research Tool to discover valuable keywords for your business.
Google SEO Wiki Help: On-Page Optimization
Once you have a list of SEO keywords you want to target, you can write keyword-focused content. Our Keyword Density Checker tool can help you keep track of where you’ve inserted your keywords – just don’t overdo it with keyword stuffing or your content will look spammy and drive visitors away.
For best on-page optimization of your content, place your keywords in:
- Body of the text. Remember not to just use the same keywords over and over again. Add in modifiers and long-tail variants.
- Title. (See our title tag guide for more help with writing SEO-friendly titles.)
- Subheads. Subheadings/H2 headings are valuable spots for keywords.
Your work is not over yet! Don’t forget to add keywords into the:
- Meta title: The meta title appears in search engine results. Use some solid keyword here.
- Meta description: This description appears below your link in Google. Write a creative and compelling meta description that includes relevant keywords to boost your CTR.
- Image file names/ALT attributes: Always include pictures when possible! Pictures are appealing for readers, and Google likes them too! Use keywords in the picture file names (e.g., how-to-catch-fish.jpg). Also be sure to use the ALT attribute to tell search engines and users what the picture is.
- Anchor text: Link to your new page from several other pages on your site, using your keyword as the anchor text. This makes it easy for Google crawlers to find and rank your page.
For more info, read the full Wiki SEO Guide to Content Creation.
SEO Wiki: Link Building
SEO marketing wiki tip: increase visibility and gather attention for your optimized content by sharing it on social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+.
High Search Engine Results Page (SERP) rankings also require a solid link profile. Be sure to build internal and external links from outside sites.
Conducting a link building campaign can be an exhaustive endeavor, but it will pay off in the end when you end up on Google's 1st page. WordStream's guide to developing a winning SEO link building strategy will help you obtain the links needed to boost your site's ranking in Google.
SEO Tools Wiki
WordStream's SEO Tools address both SEO and SEM efforts so they can work together to improve your overall search performance. The Keyword Research Suite is a all-in-one-pack that provides you with all the SEO tools and resources your site needs to be successful. Try it free today!