WordStream's Best of the Month & Weekly Web Marketing Highlights
Our most popular post in July was no big surprise – in fact, Larry's analysis of our latest infographic (Where's Google Making Its Money?), in which we delved into our keyword data to find the top 20 keyword categories in AdWords with the highest volume and costs per click, was not only our top post for the month, it's our most popular post of the year so far. We're glad you all found this data as fascinating as we did!
Here are the rest of the posts that grabbed your eyeballs this month (we hope they didn't cause any bruising):
- What to Do When Your AdWords CPCs Are Too High – Tom outlines five ways to lower your AdWords cost per click and get your campaigns back to profitability.
- The Social Media Showdown: Google+ Beating LinkedIn, Closing In On Twitter, Facebook – Our infographic caused a huge spike in traffic to our blog last week, and we were surprised how much of it came from Google+.
- Casey Anthony and the 'Social Media Trial of the Century' – Meg looked at the reactions to the Casey Anthony verdict on Twitter and the rest of the Web, where everyone's a critic/judge.
- Three AdWords Remarketing Tips – What's your Google AdWords remarketing strategy? Don't have an AdWords remarketing strategy? Tom is here to help.
- Google+ Still Getting Buzz, Making Waves – Could Google+ be Google's first social success story? The future looks bright so far!
- Where's Mesothelioma, What Is Cord Blood & Other FAQs About Our Most Expensive Keywords Study – In this follow-up to our infographic, Larry answers some of the questions that popped up about the results.
- SEOs vs. Developers: Ultimate Nerd Standoff! – Our VP of Product assures me that the ultimate nerd standoff is Star Wars vs. Star Trek. But the war between SEOs and developers comes close.
- Google AdWords Editor 101: AdWords Editor Tutorials, Tips & Resources – Helpful resources for figuring out what AdWords Editor can (and can't) do for you.
- Google Analytics & AdWords Tracking Issues: Multiple AdWords Accounts for One Google Analytics Account – There are a few reasons you might have to have multiple AdWords accounts hooked up to a single Analytics account, but it can make things messy. Here are four workarounds to make things easier.
- Three Types of Infographics that Attract Traffic & Links – Tom talks about three kinds of infographic and the different link- and traffic-building goals they can help you meet.
Web Marketing Highlights of the Week
Now for some highlights from the rest of the blogosphere. First up, some meta links (links about links that is):
- Debra Mastaler's latest Link Spiel is a case study about a low-cost link-building campaign that didn't use any of the usual techniques (social media, article marketing, blog commenting, press releases, interviews or paid links), but rather an unexpected incentive.
- Lisa Barone has seven tips for crafting a more successful link pitch, including minimizing your use of a script.
- Rae Hoffman-Dolan talks about vertical guest blogging vs. horizontal guest blogging and other elements of a strong guest blogging strategy for link building.
PostDesk questions Mashable's coverage of Amy Winehouse's death as a grab for pageviews. But one commenter suggests that criticizing such tactics is playing the same game.
How is split-testing like sex in high school? Says Copyblogger, everybody says they're doing it, but few actually are. Get started with this split-testing tutorial.
Learn how to stalk your visitors with KISSmetrics' guide to remarketing with AdWords.
Search Engine Land covers a Google study that finds PPC ads don't cannibalize your organic search traffic. (But, Matt Van Wagner asks, can we really trust the source?)
Have a great weekend.