Google Remarketing Cheatsheet: 12 Steps to Set Up a Remarketing List (+ Free Download)
We created a Google remarketing cheatsheet as a take-home for a recent webinar. It’s a handy reference for anyone who is interested in setting up a remarketing campaign in Google Ads (AdWords). Below is the 12-step process to setting up a new remarketing list, and you can click here to download the cheatsheet as a PDF. Thanks to our SEM Manager Rich Griffin for creating this resource!
- Define your remarketing strategy.
- Will you target all visitors to your site?
- Are you only interested in targeting visitors to a specific page?
- Create the remarketing code.
- Google Ads > Shared Library > Audiences > + New Audience > Remarketing List
- Fill in all of the required parameters including membership duration, list name, and a brief description of the tag. Then click “save.”
- Navigate to the new remarketing code and click the “tag” link.
- Copy this new remarketing code to the appropriate pages.
- Next, navigate back to “all online campaigns.”
- Create a new campaign and include “Remarketing” in the campaign name.
- Create a new ad group within the “Remarketing” campaign and define the ad group default Max CPC.
- Add both text and image ads to this new ad group. Here are the image ad size requirements:
- Next, stay within the newly created ad group and click on the “Display Network” tab then the “Interests & Remarketing” button.
- Click “+ Change display targeting” > “Remarketing Lists” > and select the remarketing list you created in step 2 > then click save.
- You are now all set. Your remarketing ads will not begin to show until this new remarketing code tags at least 100 unique visitors within 30 days.
- You can see the size of your lists in the audiences section of Google Ads.