Recently, Larry posted an interesting (and inspirational) post over at Search Engine Journal that collected 19 quotes about digital marketing from some of the best-known names in the business. All of Larry’s chosen quotes were taken from Twitter, digital marketers’ favorite social network. Even in just 140 characters, there was a lot to learn from Larry’s list.
In the time-honored tradition of embarking upon a long pilgrimage to seek wisdom and enlightenment from the masters, I set out to find my own nuggets of digital marketing wisdom, not all of which were culled from Twitter.
Behold! Another 23 quotes (I couldn’t stop at just 19, as some of these were too good not to share) that will help you become a better digital marketer and maybe, just maybe, a better person – and isn’t that what the holiday season is all about?
23. “Good marketing makes the company look smart. Great marketing makes the customer feel smart.” – Joe Chernov
Image via Pardot
22. “Even when you are marketing to your entire audience or customer base, you are still simply speaking to a single human at any given time.” – Ann Handley
20. “Just because you can measure everything doesn’t mean that you should.” – W. Edward Deming
19. “I am all for conversations, but you need to have a message.” – Renee Blodgett
18. “Take two ideas and put them together to make one new idea. After all, what is a Snuggie but a mutation of a blanket and a robe?” – Jim Kukral
Image via HubSpot
17. “Social media allows big companies to act small again.” – Jay Baer
16. “The best way to engage honestly with the marketplace via Twitter is to never use the words ‘engage,’ ‘honestly’ or ‘marketplace.’” – Jeffrey Zeldman
15. “Put your energy into making things that are likeable, not some douchey social media strategy.” – Matthew Inman, AKA The Oatmeal
Image via The Oatmeal
14. “Clients don’t care about the labor pains; they want to see the baby.” – Tim Williams
12. “Holding back technology to preserve broken business models is like allowing blacksmiths to veto the internal combustion engine in order to protect their horseshoes.” – Don Tapscott and Anthony D. Williams
11. “You can’t expect to just write and have visitors come to you – that’s too passive.” – Anita Campbell
10. “Focus on the core problem your business solves and put out lots of content and enthusiasm and ideas about how to solve that problem.” – Laura Fitton
8. “You can’t sell anything if you can’t tell anything.” Beth Comstock
7. “Branded content is created for a company. A content brand is created for a valuable company.” – Drew Davis
5. “Search marketing, and most Internet marketing in fact, can be very threatening because there are no rules. There’s no safe haven. To do it right, you need to be willing to be wrong. But search marketing done right is all about being wrong. Experimentation is the only way.” – Mike Moran
4. “It’s much easier to double your business by doubling your conversion rate than doubling your traffic.” – Bryan Eisenberg
3. “Never let ads write checks your website can’t cash.” – Avinash Kaushik
2. “It’s hard to target a message to a generic 35-year-old middle-class working mother of two. It’s much easier to target a message to Jennifer, who has two children under four, works as a paralegal, and is always looking for quick but healthy dinners and ways to spend more time with her kids and less time on housework.” – Elizabeth Gardner
Originally from the U.K., Dan Shewan is a journalist and web content specialist who now lives and writes in New England. Dan’s work has appeared in a wide range of publications in print and online, including The Guardian, The Daily Beast, Pacific Standard magazine, The Independent, McSweeney’s Internet Tendency, and many other outlets.
See other posts by Dan Shewan
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.