Ad Groups: Create More Effective PPC Ad Groups
Ad Groups are an essential component of pay-per-click marketing. Creating effective Ad Groups can help you to drive more traffic and leads at lower costs, while increasing the number of conversions on your site. This page will teach you:
- What "Ad Group" means in reference to PPC advertising.
- Why Ad Groups are important.
- And, of course, how best to create an effective Ad Group for PPC.
|Try WordStream for PPC FREE!|
Get instant access to WordStream's PPC Management and Quality Score Optimization Tools. Risk-free, no credit card required!
So What's an Ad Group, Anyway?
Basically an Ad Group is the container for your keywords in your search marketing campaigns.
PPC advertising is structured such that you:
- Create an account
- Create an ad campaign which is home to Ad Groups
- Those Ad Groups then house:
The Importance of Ad Groups
OK, so we now know that Ad Groups are basically a structural component within your PPC account. So why should you bother with them? What makes them important?
Ad Groups contain a lot of important stuff!
Most search engines look to your Ad Group organization to determine:
- Which keywords your ads will show in response to.
- What your ad will say when it runs.
- Where the visitor will be taken when they click on your ad.
- Who to advertise to.
- What to say to get their attention.
- And how you'll make your final pitch when you set up an Ad Group.
How to Create Ad Groups That Really Work
"Really work" here means Ad Groups that cost less and convert more. Basically, in creating an Ad Group, you want to ensure that you're offering integration and consistency:
- Integration - Create a system where you're consistently generating and creating keyword groups, ad text, keywords, and landing pages that are tightly integrated with one another.
- Consistency - This integration should lead to messaging consistency. Your ad text and landing pages should speak directly to the searches users are typing in to reach your site.
There are two central reasons these things are so important to you and to your business:
- Lower Costs - Because of a system known as Quality Score, creating well-aligned Ad Groups means that you'll be paying less money for the same clicks.
- More Conversions - If I search for "graphic design services" and your advertisement talks about your graphic design services, and then you send me to a page about those same graphic design services, I'm much more likely to convert than if your ad text or landing page have nothing to do with one another or aren't integrated with your keywords.
So how do you achieve this close integration in your PPC campaigns?
By turning to a PPC ad software solution.
WordStream and your ad groups
WordStream provides you with comprehensive tools that integrate your keyword lists, grouping process, ad text, and landing pages.
The software offers sophisticated grouping tools which allow you to create semantically similar keyword groups with the click of a button, using our Campaign and Ad Group Builder tools.
These tools allow you to very quickly build new Ad Groups based on your most profitable keyword opportunities. You can also use WordStream to:
- Split large Ad Groups into smaller, more relevant groups to raise Quality Score
- Identify negative keywords to bring down your ad spend
- Add new keywords to expand your reach
WordStream automates these best practices so your PPC campaigns perform better, every day.
More About Ad Groups
Tthe best way to really learn about Ad Groups is to start creating them. To do that and learn more about WordStream, you can: