Google Ads Editor 101: Google Ads Editor Tutorials, Tips & Resources
If you’re managing pay-per-click campaigns, the Google Ads Editor is a really handy (but fundamentally limited) free tool provided by Google to help you with certain PPC tasks. It’s a free, desktop-based application, currently in the 10th version of the tool (check out the changelog here and get the application itself here).
To help you get the most out of Google Ads Editor, it’s important to understand what the tool is and what it isn’t.
Google Ads Editor is a free resource provided by Google that can help you with several bulk editing tasks within your Google Ads (formerly known as AdWords) campaigns, such as:
- Raising or lowering bids on a number of different keywords
- Copying large sections of your campaigns and then tweaking certain areas (moving a list of keywords, a set of ad text, etc.)
- Changing keyword match types in mass
- Bulk changes of things like URLs where you need to find and replace across multiple areas of your campaign
- Copying entire campaigns to push to adCenter
What it lacks is mainly “intelligence” – the application isn’t doing a lot of automation or making proactive best practice suggestions (for Google Ads this happens within Google Ads Automated Rules and the Google Ads Opportunities Tab). So while Google Ads Editor is helping you to manage certain aspects of your campaigns and push data into AdWords, it’s not a campaign management platform in the sense that it’s doesn't make active suggestions around things like bids, keywords, campaign structure, ad copy, etc.
Google Ads Editor Help – How to Use Google Ads Editor
Now that you know what AWE is and isn't helpful for, you can learn to use the tool and likely get a lot of value out of it. Google has their usual combination of helpful (but relatively dry) documentation on the tool here, offering tutorials on subjects such as:
- Downloading accounts and statistics
- Adding, editing, and deleting
- Import and export
- Checking for errors
- Sharing and reviewing changes
- Posting changes
- Managing multiple accounts
- Google Ads Editor settings
- Upgrading to a new version
- Release notes
Google Ads Editor Tips & Tricks
In addition to the standard uses of Google Ads Editor for more “vanilla” campaign management tasks, here are a few good resources for specific applications of the Google Ads Editor functionality: